Friday, November 5, 2010

The Great Pumpkin Patch

Photobucket


I admit it, I almost always find these crazy adventures for my family to experience. Sometimes, in my head, I can see the perfection of the memory before it has even happened.
This year, I found a pumpkin patch on the island. I was beyond excited!! I miss fall. I miss fall a lot. So, visions of my jean/sweater clad children gallavanting through the pumpkin patch proved too much for me to pass up. Picking our own pumpkins!!! I even made pumpkin bread for our adventure...Plus, think of all the photo opportunities! Yes, this pumpkin patch was high in the mountains of Kohala coast. It is about two hours from our house. Why not make a day of it?

The Kohala Coast is one of the most beautiful drives I have taken.

Photobucket


We drove through pastures, fields, and mountain roads

Photobucket

Sometimes, we would turn a bend and see something like this....

Photobucket

Sophia's dream house

Photobucket

I think it has something to do with the tower. She was so funny! after exclaiming the perfection of this house, she couldn't believe I also did not think it was a dream house. Anything with scaffolding and a tower I don't want any part of. She responded with, "I bet it has stairs."


The last turn before the girls were starting to go stir crazy. Did you know riding in the very back of a mini van is remeniscent of the wild mouse? without the fun???

Photobucket

Ten minutes after the last picture was taken we saw a wooden painted pumpkin on the side of the road. "Your almost to the pumpkin patch!" OOOh the excitement."you guys have done so great on the car ride! I bet your going to find the best pumpkin ever! comments ensued. Also excited to stretch our legs, have a snack, etc...

Pulling up to the pumpkin patch..

Photobucket

Um, I completely related to Chevy Chase upon arriving at Wally World. Had there been a moose available, I would have punched it. Argh....
deep breath. deeper breath.
The kids did great. The grownups needed a few minutes. (que the best forced Mary Poppins voice here...) No matter, lets have some pumpkin bread. (No stretching, we were on the side of a highway.) I reach around to the snack bag, and realize it has been left hanging on the front door knob.
deep, deep breath...

Let's just head back to the park. (20 minutes away) My amazing girlies just said 'okay'.
I don't really need to repeat what was said under my breath.

After a stop at a gas station for snacks..(I swear the only thing healthy in a gas station is sunflower seeds. and bottled water, which really isn't that healthy for our planet.) My kids lit up like a Christmas tree when I pulled up with my bag from the gas station.

After stuffing themselves on snickers and gaterade, We played around a while..

She takes my breath away.

Photobucket


Her, too

Photobucket

Me, after a few deep breaths.

Photobucket


Mr. Wonderful

Photobucket

No pictures of my eldest. She could not stop once she hit the playground, and all of the pics I took are of her back. I loved seeing her stretch her legs after such a long drive, and felt grateful for my healthy children.

We decided just to wait until we got closer to home to find our pumpkins....
Shock surprise!!! they were sold out! at five grocery stores and walmart. I did find some small small pumpkins. (I would not be detered from carving pumpkins)

Photobucket

We felt like little mice, carving our tiny little pumpkins. After driving for so long, we were late getting home and decided to pick up a pizza from our local Boogie Woogie pizza place. Then we got busy on our pumpkins.

Photobucket


Some pros:
We had an adventure all right
We perservered, and still carved pumpkins
even though my day was nothing like I imagined, it turned out to be a great lesson for me.
I learned much about patience through my kids. They were amazing with response to altered plans. They just rolled with the punches.
We got to see a part of the island we hadn't seen yet
pumpkin carving took 10 minutes

Some cons:
Because my kids eat super healthy almost all of the time, (sans baked goods. we are completely addicted to baking, and therefore sugar), it is so hard for them to have junk food. Sophia missed out on the pumpkin carving because she was puking the aforementioned snickers, gatorade, and pizza. Poor kid. Avery and Lyla both were having issues as well, although it didn't involve puking, if you know what I mean.

My too high expectations for holiday fun....

speaking of high expectations...let me tell you about Helloween....

Photobucket

Next time. I had yet to learn the lesson of high expectations...

1 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

Oh Drat Charlie Brown! Lol Well at least the trip to the Pumpkin Patch was beautiful! Kids are so resilient as well, it's us adults that have to learn to roll with the punches! I love the butterfly in your hair ;) I loved this post so thanks for sharing the story and the pics! I still can't get over how fast the girls are growing! Can't wait to see you guys in 2 months! Love you Chica

November 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home